Monday, September 15, 2008

Acai-(ah-sigh-ee) The fruit Grown in the Amazon Rainforest


Have you heard of this amazing fruit? Truly a "Gift from Mother Nature". A fruit that has a rich, berry-cocoa flavor that makes it taste amazing, and its packed with more antioxidants than blueberries or pomegranates, plus loads of healthy Omega fats, protein and dietary fiber. All that in one fruit? I ask....I'm loving it.

Some great facts:
It has similiar amounts of protein as a whole egg (wow)
More antioxidants than blueberries,strawberries,and cherries. Almost 3x's more than blueberries!
Has up to 30 times the amount of anthocyanins that red wine has. Anthocyanins reportedly have anti-inflammatory qualities, so the Acai berry could potentially be helpful for those with arthritis or inflammation of the joints.
The berry has lots of vitamin E and other vitamins, too.
Tons of fiber

Here's some other benefits I found

Anti-aging (i'm in ), heart health, improved sleep, increased energy, and research shows that it may even have cancer destroying properties! Other health benefits include improved mental focus, improved digestion, improved blood circulation, and stronger bones and muscles.

Ok..I'm hoked! My friend Felicia introduced me to this great fruit. She puts it in her smoothie every morning. It wasn't till just recently that I read up on the benefits and now I desire to really make it part of my daily diet.

You can find it at health food stores in tons of products. I buy it in the frozen smoothie packs and add them to the shakes we make.

Enjoy...

No comments: